Thursday, October 16, 2008

Puppy Love


It's no secret that we love animals on Daffodil Hill. Over the years we have taken in more strays than anyone I know. Some we've kept; others have been given to good homes. Most have been spayed or neutered, but a few have not.

After an unsuccessful attempt at breeding, Jamie's full-blooded Basset Hound, Sophie, who was definitely not a stray, chose her own fella. Unfortunately, he was a deadbeat dad, and left Sophie to her own resources, his identity uncertain. Love 'em and leave 'em, and all that jazz. Sophie should have listened to her mama. ;)

Though Jamie won't be selling these puppies for profit, they have certainly brought her a lot of joy over the last five weeks. I won't soon forget her calling me at four a.m. to tell me that Sophie was in labor. Jamie and Sophie were in the house alone, and Jamie wasn't sure what to do. Well, nature took its course, and five weeks later there are three adorable little guys and two sweet little girls to show for it.

Jamie has been sending me pictures of her grandpuppies as any proud grandmother might do. Finally, yesterday I had the opportunity to visit with her and play with the little ones myself. They may not have their mother's pedigree, but they are awfully sweet and cuddly. I sort of like being their Nana even if it's only for a short time. Loving homes are waiting for most of them, and the rest will probably go quickly, too. Jamie is going to have a hard time giving them up. But, alas, puppy love, sweet as it is, must always come to an end. ; )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daff they are soooooooooooooooo cute! lol just adorable! Yes she will have a hard time giving them up but I'm sure they will love their new homes.

Cottage said...

Oh, they look so cuddly and sweet!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Oh my goodness, how adorable they are! I know how hard it will be to give those cuties up! I love the picture of Jamie lovin' the puppy! That's so sweet!

Tammy