Thank you all so much for your sweet anniversary thoughts! Yesterday was a good day. Judi said that Papa would find a way to send me a gift, and he did! I was quite surprised to come downstairs that morning and find a beautiful fall arrangement on my kitchen table. Now, I know that Stephen brought it in as a "leftover" from his catering job the night before while I was sleeping, but God can make deliveries any way He chooses. There is no doubt in my mind that Papa sent those flowers. :) I am so blessed!
Pretty flowers are not the only "fall color" in my house, however. While tidying the family room, I reached down to pick up a leaf from the floor. It wasn't until I touched it that I realized it was a dry, dead tree frog. ICK! I'm sort of blind without my glasses, you know. :o I grabbed one of the towels we use to dry the dogs when they get wet outside, and used it to pick up the frog so that I wouldn't have to touch it. I am such a girl! : /
Hastily making my way to the door to throw out the yucky creature, my foot caught in a blanket that was lying across a large ottoman. "Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!" I cried as I fell to my knees in agony. Fortunately, I wasn't really injured, but several of my toes beg to differ. I think one of them is broken, and I know it is swollen, bruised, and painful. This "fall color" is not quite as welcome as the flowers. Papa's family always did have an odd sense of humor. ; )
In addition to the flowers and a sweet card from all of my children, my day was made even more special by a visit from my friend, Jan, and her five delightful grandchildren. After a nice visit at my house, Jan invited me to have dinner at her house as her husband was away on business and she had the grands overnight. It was a blast! After the little people were in bed, Jan insisted that I stay and talk for awhile. It was the latest I've stayed out since Papa died which sort of freaked my kids out! During our visit, two calls came from puzzled, concerned twenty-somethings asking, "Where ARE you?" : )
By the time I got home, I was too tired to be sad. I read my last anniversary card from Papa, then slept soundly, dreaming of happier times when my true love slept beside me. Sweet dreams they were. Sweet dreams indeed!
Hastily making my way to the door to throw out the yucky creature, my foot caught in a blanket that was lying across a large ottoman. "Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!" I cried as I fell to my knees in agony. Fortunately, I wasn't really injured, but several of my toes beg to differ. I think one of them is broken, and I know it is swollen, bruised, and painful. This "fall color" is not quite as welcome as the flowers. Papa's family always did have an odd sense of humor. ; )
In addition to the flowers and a sweet card from all of my children, my day was made even more special by a visit from my friend, Jan, and her five delightful grandchildren. After a nice visit at my house, Jan invited me to have dinner at her house as her husband was away on business and she had the grands overnight. It was a blast! After the little people were in bed, Jan insisted that I stay and talk for awhile. It was the latest I've stayed out since Papa died which sort of freaked my kids out! During our visit, two calls came from puzzled, concerned twenty-somethings asking, "Where ARE you?" : )
By the time I got home, I was too tired to be sad. I read my last anniversary card from Papa, then slept soundly, dreaming of happier times when my true love slept beside me. Sweet dreams they were. Sweet dreams indeed!

4 comments:
Hi...I thought I'd visit a few new friends and came over from Country Girl at Home...
I was so touched by these last couple posts! I am so very sorry for your recent loss of your husband. I can tell by just your writing that you must have had a wonderful marriage.
My dad passed away 20 years ago, and it was so hard for my mom the first year. She decided to go to a grief support group through church and it helped her so much she ended up as a table counselor with them the following year.
Anyway, both photos in the previous post of you and your husband are just beautiful.
God bless you!
(I'm having a 350th post giveaway, so please feel free to stop by and enter!)
Blessings,
~Tammy (Lattes and Lollipops)
Daff,
I loved your post! My goodness, what a beautiful day filled with blessings and a little humor with that frog, ick! Can't believe you got your feet tangled and tripped, goodness, and now a broken toe? You are just REAL, like the velveteen rabbit. So wonderful, beautiful and fun!
And then to get in trouble for being out so late...lol!
Yes, a beautiful blessed day.
Hi Daff....
A lovely flower arrangement is always a gift....a feast for the eyes! No matter where it came from or what thought it carried with it....it came from above (your dear Papa's home!). We will never know what voice guided Steven to scoop up those flowers and bring them home to you. But, I'd bet a dozen donuts there was a tender, guiding voice...! As for your kind friend and her invitaiton, her family and the wonderful laughter you all shared....yep, you bet...more gifts that somehow found it's way to you through your friend's love....a love brought to you because of your goodness, kindness and loving friendship to her...made all the more special because of the life you shared with your Papa. Ah, the circle of love....!
Keep your eyes and ears open....as well as your heart....and you will see each and every gift your beloved hubby is sending your way. They may not have ribbons and bows but they sure will have love attached...! You're a girl that will should be and will be showered with them!
Judi
P.S....as for the broken toe and the frog....oh well, we all know your man had a delightfully michevious sense of humor...
we all have to "fall" for a few frogs.....
Post a Comment