Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Moving Experience

We're busy as a bee hive around here! Jamie has found renters for her house - something we've been hoping for. It's the fact that they want to move in less than two weeks that has us hopping. Not only must I find a place to keep the things I've been storing in Jamie's spare closets, I must also make room for her in my house at the same time I'm helping her pack. Quite a challenge!

I'm pleased that Jamie wants to move in with me for awhile. It's her stuff (well, ok, my stuff) that's the problem. She plans to rent a storage unit for her furniture and household items, but it would be nice for her to at least have a place to hang her clothes while she's here. ; )

You see, there are already two young people living with me - my son, Stephen, and Rachel, my chosen child. There's plenty of room for everyone in this big ole house. I just need to dispose of a lot of family memorabilia and other items that I've been saving to pass along to my children. I am asking each of them to speak up for anything they may ever want. If nobody wants it or needs it, it is SO out of here. This means that in addition to moving Jamie out of her spacious house, we have to hold a big yard sale at my house. All in the same two weeks! Yeah, now I know we're nuts!

My sentimental ways have finally caught up with me. Papa's death has made me realize that it is time to simplify and downsize. When something happens to me, I don't want my kids to be left with tons of stuff that means nothing to them. Though I have attempted to eliminate and control clutter over the years, I have held onto many things either out of personal sentiment or because my children might want them someday. Now that they are all adults, "someday" has arrived. After all, who really needs ten sets of china and almost that many sets of crystal? (blush)

Collecting, for me, has always been first and foremost about people and memories rather than the items themselves. However, the time has come to save the memories and pass the "stuff" on to others who will appreciate it. My dear minimalist friend has recently reminded me that possessions can become albatrosses around our necks when they are held onto longer than is prudent. She is right, of course. My house need not become a shrine to people, who, if they could speak to me from Heaven, would likely tell me to let it all go.

Don't think I'm getting rid of everything. I'm not quite ready for that yet, but it does feel good to see some empty shelves for a change. If you're looking for bargains on some great stuff, come on down!

NOTE: Be watching for a special announcement in the next few days. : )


2 comments:

Judi said...

Daff....
Pass along all that china and crystal to ME....! And, before you know it....you'll have a brand new boarder...ME!!! Hubby will be kicking me to the curb....
Oh, and what's this about a special announcement? Why are you announcing that you are going to make an announcement? Not fair! Don't you know you can't do THAT TO ME!!! I need to know NOW!!!!!!
Geez, girl, you are getting wicked......;-)
Judi

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Daff,

I know it has to be hard to let go of some things...I'm the same way! You have me tuning in for you special announcement....I'll definitely be checking in...

Have a great week!
Tammy