I had not progressed far on my evening walk when I saw it. At first glance I thought it was a big dog - one that I had never seen before. Then I realized this was nobody's pet. It was a WOLF, standing on the side of the road not far from my house. Just standing there. LOOKING AT ME! :o Seconds later two more identical creatures came out of the woods, crossed the road, and stood there staring at me. They seemed completely unthreatened by my presence, and eventually followed their leader into the woods.
By this time, I had stopped in my tracks, unsure whether to continue my walk or to tuck my tail and run home. Reason told me that, if they had gone off into the woods, they weren't likely to come back. They had given no indication of wanting to harm me. Either they weren't hungry or they just decided I wasn't worth the trouble. Little Red Riding Hood I am not, and my cell phone is no match for a basket filled with goodies for Grandma. With my heart beating ninety-to-nothing, I crossed to the far side of the road and kept walking, very alert to the possibility of further encounters of the four-legged kind. Fortunately, there were none.
Need I say that from now on I will view my evening jaunts with a slightly more cautious attitude? Mama ain't up to no dances with wolves even if it does get the ole heart pumping. That kind of cardio workout is one I can do well without. By the way, do you happen to know where I might buy a can of wolf repellent? ; )
Many thanks to those of you who have sent supportive, encouraging messages in response to my last post. While I never want to be morbid or depressing, I do want to be honest with you. Thank you for hanging in there with me through this time of transition. Though I will never meet most of you in person, your friendship is a huge blessing to me as I travel this unknown path to a new and different life. I love you all and hold you close to my heart. {{hugs}}
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Daffodil,
I can't imagine the feeling!! I have Siberian Huskies and I know how they can scare folks from coming into our yard because they are so quiet. They just watch.
Jody
What a brave encounter you had. Except for the concern for danger I bet the wolves were beautiful to see.
I did not know your story of losing your loved ones. I went back in your blog to read. I'm glad for the opportunity to 'know' you and my prayers are with you.
Hugs,
Lallee
Daff,
Oh my goodness...that was scary reading about it! We have coyotes around our house, but they won't come near a human! Wolves are a different story! You better be careful!
Tammy
Post a Comment