My kids and I celebrated the 4th of July last night - on July 9. We sort of march to a different drummer around here, if you haven't noticed. ; ) I cooked a Boston butt that Papa had asked me to buy before he died. He had planned to grill it, but Mama "don't DO grills". Everyone said it tasted just fine, although I know it would have been better if he had smoked it. Still, it was pretty tasty.
Leigh brought baked beans and pasta salad. Stephen purchased the buns and BBQ sauce, and Jamie made her delicious Flag Cake with cream cheese, Jello, and fresh strawberries and blueberries. The girls worked together to prepare deviled eggs, then promptly ate most of them before dinner was served. Sorry, boys! : ) We ate well from patriotic paper plates and napkins that I had picked up on clearance last year.
While we ladies worked in the kitchen, the guys dealt with some small maintenance projects. After enjoying our dinner and taking care of some family business, we played a competitive game of "Spades". It was clear from the outset that Neil was going to win, but Stephen came up from behind for a very close second place. Before they left, I signed over Papa's little truck to Leigh and Neil. They've been driving it since he died, but we had not made it official until last night. I'm really glad for them to have it. He would like that a lot!
We don't make too much of holidays around here nowadays, but we always manage to have fun when we're together. Everyone knows that the opportunities for us to gather as a family are growing short as Stephen prepares for his career in the Navy. We know equally well that such opportunities should not be taken for granted. Six months ago we could never have imagined that Papa would not be celebrating with us this year. Nor can we know what changes another year will bring.
I'm sorry that I didn't take any pictures of our little party. That's very unlike me. Sometimes, though, it's better to just savor the moment rather than interrupting it with the camera. Last night was one of those times. As our family circle has grown smaller, it has also grown closer. The days of lively celebrations have given way to quieter times of simply appreciating the presence of those we hold most dear. At the end of the day, that's what family is all about.
Leigh brought baked beans and pasta salad. Stephen purchased the buns and BBQ sauce, and Jamie made her delicious Flag Cake with cream cheese, Jello, and fresh strawberries and blueberries. The girls worked together to prepare deviled eggs, then promptly ate most of them before dinner was served. Sorry, boys! : ) We ate well from patriotic paper plates and napkins that I had picked up on clearance last year.
While we ladies worked in the kitchen, the guys dealt with some small maintenance projects. After enjoying our dinner and taking care of some family business, we played a competitive game of "Spades". It was clear from the outset that Neil was going to win, but Stephen came up from behind for a very close second place. Before they left, I signed over Papa's little truck to Leigh and Neil. They've been driving it since he died, but we had not made it official until last night. I'm really glad for them to have it. He would like that a lot!
We don't make too much of holidays around here nowadays, but we always manage to have fun when we're together. Everyone knows that the opportunities for us to gather as a family are growing short as Stephen prepares for his career in the Navy. We know equally well that such opportunities should not be taken for granted. Six months ago we could never have imagined that Papa would not be celebrating with us this year. Nor can we know what changes another year will bring.
I'm sorry that I didn't take any pictures of our little party. That's very unlike me. Sometimes, though, it's better to just savor the moment rather than interrupting it with the camera. Last night was one of those times. As our family circle has grown smaller, it has also grown closer. The days of lively celebrations have given way to quieter times of simply appreciating the presence of those we hold most dear. At the end of the day, that's what family is all about.
Enjoy the little things,
for one day you may look back
and realize they were the big things.
-Robert Brault

3 comments:
Sounds like you all had a great time together! I could just imagine everything...especially eating the deviled eggs before getting them served! :)
Have a great upcoming weekend!
Tammy
I have never heard that quote about the little and big things before, Daff. I really loved that and am putting it in a pretty little journal I keep of favorite quotes.
Charity
Daff....
You wild woman....sleeping late, going barefoot, drinking too much of the doctor, and refusing to cook on the grill! What will I find out next?
Well, I just can't wait......;)
Love you just the way you are!
Thanks for playing along with me and my antics on my blog!
Judi
Post a Comment