Monday, June 16, 2008

Navy Blues

It's official. Stephen has joined the Navy with an eight-year commitment. Though he was sworn in last week, he won't actually leave for bootcamp for a few months. His mama is most grateful for that!

Though I am very proud of my son, and I have chosen to support his decision, I have to tell you that the last couple of weeks have been hard ones on Daffodil Hill. After Jonathan died, I never expected to deal with the military again. Once was more than enough for me!

Though there are definitely some advantages to serving in the military, that lifestyle can be very hard on families. Been there; didn't like it a bit. BUT here we go again. At least I'll get another tee shirt! ; )

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Thank you to Stephen and thank you to you for being willing to serve our country. I'm proud of our military and my hearts go to their families. ~Adrienne~

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I know this must be hard for you, Daff! I know it was hard for my mom when my brother left for Iraq...hard for all of us.

Please let Stephen know that we appreciate his service for our country and I'll add his name to my daily prayers for God's protection and blessing.

Please keep us posted on him!

Blessings, Tammy

Judi said...

Oh Daff....these kids! what they don't do to their mama's! ;-)
But, have heart...you and Papa raised him right....he's a giving soul. Giving to all of us. Protecting us and caring for us and our children as we go about our lives. If it weren't for moms like you, dads like your Papa and young people like Stephen...I would not be able to sit here in peace, my son would not be able to follow his dreams and my daughter would not be able to share in the joy of girlfriendships. The gifts you give each us all!
A last thought....one good thing about the Navy....they are always stationed near a beach...right? (That's how my dear, dear college roommate decided on which branch of the military to join.)

God Bless you all!
Judi