By her own request, Leigh's February birthday was ignored due to its close proximity to Papa's death. Because this week is her husband, Neil's, birthday, and next week is their fifth wedding anniversary, this seems like an appropriate time to honor them for all of the above.
Leigh and Neil are one of those couples that has it all together. They are smart, witty, mature, and responsible. They plan ahead, work diligently, and succeed in pretty much everything they attempt. They function beautifully as a team, each of them putting the other first. Papa always said that he would never worry about Leigh because he knew that Neil was going to take good care of her. He was right!
Having met on campus in the fall of 2001, Leigh and Neil went out for the first time on Valentine's Day, 2002. After visiting with Leigh as she was preparing for their date, I knew this was the beginning of something big. I told Papa as we were preparing dinner together that evening, "Your son-in-law has just entered the picture". Five months later, Neil asked Papa's permission to marry our daughter. They were married in June, 2003.
Now age 28, Leigh and Neil are renovating a small home that they purchased last summer. Though they are busy with careers and church activities, they somehow manage to find time here and there to work on remodeling projects. With a B.S. in Elementary Ed, and a Masters in French, Leigh has been teaching in the public schools for six years. Neil has almost finished the requirements for a PhD in Computational Engineering. I think that means he's a genius. ; )
Children are on the horizon, but they haven't made me a Nana yet. I'm trying to be patient. Readers of this blog will be well informed when that blessed event takes place. : ) Meanwhile, I am very fortunate to have my children near me. They have really looked out for Mama since Papa passed away. Neil truly touched me when, a few days after Papa died, he put his arm around me and said, "I have two girls now". You simply can't ask for a better son-in-love than that! I know that Leigh and Neil won't always live nearby, but I also know that wherever they may go, they are going to be ok. These "kids" have it right!
Leigh and Neil, I love you dearly, and I deeply appreciate all that you do for me. Happy Anniversary!
Leigh and Neil, I love you dearly, and I deeply appreciate all that you do for me. Happy Anniversary!

4 comments:
Daff,
I have really enjoyed reading your blog. Although I know these last few entries have been wrought with tears, your strength and faith shines through. Thanks so much for being brave and transparent and loving.
Happy Anniversary to your Lovely Leigh and her Wonderful husband Neil.
Hugs,
Melissa
Daff,
Happy Birthdays, Happy Anniversary and Happy Friday! As far as I'm concerned a milestone in our children's lives are a milestone in triplicet for their parents! So.....celebrate big time Daff! If there's a party...I'm on my way. How about if I bring the cherries for the top of our sundaes?
You are a doll!
Judi
They sound like a sweet couple. They are blessed to have found each other and it sounds like you are blessed with a great son-in-law!
Have a great weekend!
Tammy
Oh my gosh..you've got me absolutely bawling with Neil's comment about his two girls. You are a blessed woman to have such a man in both your daughter's and your life. I'm so grateful God provided in this way for you both.
Charity
Post a Comment