Monday, October 8, 2007

Thirty-one Years!


Papa and I said "I do" on October 8. 1976, and never looked back. We were young and poor, living off $300 monthly, which was just minimum wage even then. But we were in love, so money wasn't all that important. We stretched it as far as it would go, avoided debt, and somehow survived. Those early years were a lot of fun as we fixed up our little home together and dreamed of the years to come.

Thirty-one years and four children later, we're still fixing up our home, dreaming of the future, and making ends meet, but we see the world through different eyes now. Life has thrown us some curve balls in the form of chronic illness, job loss, and the death of a child. Hard things. Yet we've faced them together. I can honestly say that our relationship is stronger today than ever because of the things we've been through together.

Papa still has the same boyish grin and sense of fun that he had back then, but the years have mellowed him into the wonderful man he is today. He is caring and compassionate with the heart of a servant. He is as steady and reliable as they come. He doesn't buy flowers or jewelry, but he mops the kitchen and bathes the dog. I can always count on him to help me with my endless projects. That's real love!


As I walk today down Memory Lane, I remember how Papa wept over me when I was in labor with
our first child, but he never missed a beat in coaching me through natural childbirth or tending to the messy details. I remember the times we sobbed together when our Jonathan was killed, the long days and nights of figuring out how to keep on living ourselves when our world stopped turning. I remember what a super father he was to our growing kids, and what a great dad he is to them now as young adults.

Young love is giddy and exciting, but mature love is even better. There's comfort and security in a relationship that has stood the test of time. I love this man with all my heart and pray that God gives us many more years until death does us part.

5 comments:

Cottage said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! Mr. Rose and I had our first date on Oct 8th and celebrate it as our 'real' anniversary. We married July 8th the following year.

Daff, your post just made me cry...Love brings SO much to life.

Hugs and prayers,
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Daff and Papa wishing you many blessed happy years.
Lucy

Shirlee said...

Congratulations to you both on your special day. You both look as happy today as you did on your wedding day.

Anonymous said...

Your wedding pix melted my heart and brought tears to my eyes! Now, I just want to run home and wrap my arms around my own guy.....!
Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing AND spreading the LOVE!

You guys haven't changed a bit!

JudiM

Dell said...

What a beautiful tribute to your husband, your children, your family and your marriage. May you have many more years together! Happy Anniversary!