Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sentimental Journey


I have loved old things as long as I can remember. Things with a past, a story, and often a connection to my roots. Sometimes these old things are beautiful: rose-patterned china, embroidered linens, delicate lace. Other times they are earthy and rustic, but they are all dear to me. In today's picture you can see Papa's great grandparents - there's a story about them coming up soon. The little silver baby cups belonged to Papa and his mother. His is the tiny one; hers is engraved with her name, "Amanda Jo". Yes, they are tarnished, but I sort of like them that way. I like things that show their age and character.

The old pitchers belonged to my own dear grandmother. Having served her sweet tea for many years, they now serve me well as vessels of precious memories. Memories of many meals around her table where there was always an abundance of home grown vegetables cooked up with Southern goodness and lots of fat. In those days we didn't give much thought to healthy eating. We just enjoyed good ole home cooking with the relatives. MawMaw has been gone for 29 years now, but I still think of her often. Especially when I see those old tea pitchers sitting on my shelf. They aren't beautiful like rose-patterned china, but the memories they serve up are beyond compare.

No comments: