Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Homeschooling Adventures

My good blogging friend, Tammy, mentioned recently that she had not realized that I taught my children at home. Though that part of my life is now a thing of the past, it once WAS my life. From 1989 until my last child graduated in 2005, I happily homeschooled my children. Even before that, I taught my older children to read before sending them to kindergarten. It was wonderful!

Having taught in the public schools before becoming a mother, teaching came very naturally to me, and I really enjoyed having my children at home during the day. In addition to traditional academics, we had a lot of fun playing games, doing experiments, and experiencing life together. We especially enjoyed reading books aloud as a family.

One of the most effective approaches for simultaneously teaching children of various ages is the unit study method. Today there are some great unit study options available for homeschoolers, but back in the early days, I had to create my own. Some of those studies centered around particular countries. We would read good children's literature set in the country we were studying, then have fun learning about the culture. The children would cook meals, make costumes, do art projects - whatever activities could be utilized to give them a feel for life in that country.

A most memorable adventure occurred when I decided they needed to experience "ice skating". Ice skates are about as rare in MS as polar bears, so this required a bit of creativity on Mama's part. As the children donned thick socks, I pushed back the kitchen table and squirted dishwashing liquid all over the vinyl floor. When they were ready to "skate", I poured buckets of water onto the floor, advised them that it was going to be very slippery, and told them to have fun.

For the longest time, there were shrieks of delight as those four little people slipped and slid all over the kitchen. It was great! It wasn't until the time came to clean up, however, that I realized what a dumb thing I had done. Despite mopping and rinsing for a longgggggg time, there was simply no way to remove all of the soap from that floor. It sure was clean, though! I didn't have to use any cleansers for mopping for a very long time. ; )

Those homeschooling years are now nothing more than distant memories, but oh, what wonderful memories they are! After Papa died, a friend, knowing that I am now alone and without income, asked me if I regretted giving up my career to stay at home with my children. My answer required no thought at all. Even if I could have foreseen the future, I still would have chosen to invest my time and energy in the lives of my children. They are not perfect, but they are my magnum opus - my greatest work. Though homeschooling certainly isn't for everyone, it was the perfect choice for us. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee, you had my full undivided attention on that skating idea! LOL That WAS TOO FUNNY! Oh I bet it did take awhile for all that soap to wear off there. lol Oh but what fun! And oh HOW I WISH I would have homeschooled my little girl! You don't know what you don't know so how could I? Yep you are SO RIGHT ON with your statement! I didn't work outside our home either and I wouldn't regret a minute of it either right now. I am SO THANKFUL I was able to be here. We didn't have a lot but we made it just fine. :)
Thank you Daff for sharing your memories! WONDERFUL stuff there! :)

Judi said...

No offense to your friend, Daff....
But, you DID NOT give up your career. You may have left a JOB that gave you a paycheck but you most certainly did not leave your CAREER! A JOB and a CAREER---2 very different things! Tell her to put that in her pipe and smoke it! Oh, how short sighted and narrow minded some folks can be (gee...I hope your friend who said this does not read your blog....if she does...could you tell her about my ties to the mafia?)! Teaching is teaching. Whether you do it in a classroom with other people's children or in your home classroom with your own children. I am in complete awe of teachers in general. But homeschool teachers--I'm thunderstruck. There's no way in H*LL I could have homeschooled my kids! Ever! Sure, they'd know what the word SALE meant, they would be expert meatball rollers and they would probably be able to decorate a Christmas tree like no body's business. But, I fear they'd be shopaholics with the morals of soap opera characters. It's best they went off to school and I went off to work! But, I have to tell you...I finally found a similiarity between you and I. When my son was a little chap, I dropped a whole bottle of dishwashing liquid on the floor. He and a little buddy were playing nearby. I asked him to grab me a towel. As he went to do that, he slipped on he floor. His buddy followed. It was so funny. So, I let them slip and slide away the afternoon. That was the day I learned that vinegar will cut through all the soap. Good old cheap white vinegar! Fun times in Judiland...that's for sure!
So anyway...back to the career thing. Just wanted to remind you that I am a career professional. Actually, a career expert....after 28+ years of doing this...that's what I am. That makes me right!
8-) Speaking of my expertise....my stand by my assertation that you have a new career awaiting you!
Onward!
Judi

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Oh Daff....I just loved this post! What memories you have! We've lived those same type experiences...except we never ice skated on the floor! We've built volcanoes, had Little House Days, made many messes, and had so much fun! And I was so glad to hear you say that you didn't have to think twice to answering the question about investing all that time with your children. I've thought before and had people say things to me like that because my kids are 10 years apart (almost)...I will be homeschooling for a total of 22 "official years" when I'm done and I just don't think of it as anything but a blessing! I have loved having Colt home with me and now Joy! If I found myself in a position as you are today with Papa, I would just have to trust the Lord because I feel like I'm where I need to be right now!

Thanks for sharing that part of your life with me!

I think you're an amazing woman in many ways! I totally admire and respect you and your faith!

Hugs,
Tammy