While I have always loved daffodils, it was in February of 1980 that they became one of my favorite flowers. Still in the hospital following the birth of my first child, I received a small bouquet from my sweet grandmother - the first blooms from her garden. It was such a tender and touching gesture that I will always hold dear to my heart.
Fast forward to 1988... Papa and I had just bought five acres on a hillside in the country, planning to build our permanent home. When we drove onto the property one day that February, we were so surprised (and thrilled) to see much of the property COVERED in daffodils. I couldn't believe my good fortune!
Still today, thousands (millions?) of daffodils grace our lawn each spring. Some years are more beautiful than others, but there are never as many blooms as there were when they were allowed to spread freely. Even in the least impressive years, though, there is never any doubt why our little homestead is lovingly known as "Daffodil Hill"!
I'll be sharing more pictures as spring arrives, but maybe today this will help to remind those in much colder climates that spring is just around the corner. : )
Trinity, thanks for your comments! I didn't know YOU had a blog. What a treat! I'll be stopping by often.

3 comments:
I've always been curious as to how you came up with Daffodil Hill. I thought maybe they were you're favourite flower.
One of our grocery stores has pots of daffodils and tulips (my fave). I've been so tempted but one of my cats is destructive to plants of any kind I'm afraid they wouldn't last.
I hope you'll post pics of the blooms in the yard. That must be quite the sight. :)
How pretty Daff,love the flowers and thank you for sharing your lovely story about grandma.Hugs, Lucy - - Love your blog!
I also often wondered where the name "Daffodil Hill" came from. What a great story. I just smile when I see daffodils. They scream spring to me. And, since another foot of snow is on its way tonight (the second big storm in 5 days) I can only dream of daffodils and wait patiently for your pictures:)!
Post a Comment