Sometimes life just hurts. This week was one of those times. When Jamie called me Wednesday night and said, "We need to talk about the dog and the house," I knew the news was not going to be good. It wasn't. My special dog, Baby, had been ill for a few days, and Jamie was planning to take her to the vet.
After the doctor examined Baby on Thursday morning, she called me in Michigan with her diagnosis. Not only did Baby have a nasty digestive tract infection, she most likely had Cushing's Disease. Knowing that Baby's sibling has Cushing's, and knowing that I could not realistically pay for the expensive tests and treatments, I felt that I had no option other than to euthanize her. She has not been in good health for some time as she has been on seizure medication for several years. I knew when I left her in Mississippi that I might not ever see her again, but I never expected to have to put her down. Thursday was not a great day.
For eleven years, Baby has been my constant companion. No matter what I was doing, she was always at my side. She hung in there with me through all of the dark days and nights, comforting me and making my world a much brighter place. She will be most sorely missed. Goodbye, my sweet Baby girl. You will never be replaced.
About the house...
Frequent readers of this blog are aware of how emotionally attached I am to Daffodil Hill. Having built it with our own hands twenty-one years ago, Papa and I never expected to leave there for any reason. Even after Papa died, I steadfastly refused to give up our family home. My children have been even more adamantly opposed to selling it than I. Even after plans were made to take this job in Michigan, we fully intended to hold onto the house. Jamie has been living there in my absence, and all of the children have made a valiant effort to take care of the place. It's very much a part of who we are as a family.
However, my children have come to the realization that keeping a house in the family is not equivalent to making it a home. With Mama and Daddy gone, things just are not the same. Papa is never coming back, and the likelihood of Mama ever living there again is not much greater. The large house has quickly become a burden to them as they have struggled to pay the bills and maintain the property. When they were all together last weekend they sat down to discuss their options, none of which was desirable. In the end, though they were all devastated, they felt that the only reasonable thing to do would be to sell the house.
I have instructed the children to go through the house and take or speak for anything they want as soon as possible. Some items are to be sold immediately. Other things will be sold as time goes on. Arrangements will be made for an appraisal in the near future. This is not what any of us wants, but truly there is no viable alternative. Papa's death has forced all of us to make some difficult decisions, this one perhaps the most difficult of all.
So, yes, it has been a very hard week for all of us. Life as we knew it continues to vanish at an astonishing rate, but we can't hold onto the past. Individually and collectively we must face the present realities and look to the future with hope. We have one another, we have our memories, and we have a loving God who carries us day by day. Nobody can take those things away from us. Daffodil Hill may cease to be our home, but it will always be a large part of who we are. We are still family. We are still blessed. We will survive this loss as we have so many others - together.
Please keep us in your prayers.
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Oh Beth, we'll be praying for you as you go through another change and another loss.
I was crying so hard I couldn't hardly breath reading your post! Oh my gosh I feel so bad for you all! ONE is enough to have to deal with, let alone TWO! Man sometimes it just seems everything happens at once. I am SO SORRY about your pet and the house as well. I know that had to be the hardest thing they have ever had to do other than losing their Dad that is. :( You have been in my prayers but will be more so now. Hang in there Daff because this to shall pass.
Doesn't it seem there are times when God is teaching us to take our hands off of the "things of Earth"?
I'm truly convinced, though, that He gives us back our beloved pets in Heaven.
I don't know why I feel it is such Truth but when we had to have our beloved Storm Girl put to sleep after having been a part of our lives for sixteen years... I just knew.
(((HUGS)))
Oh Daff...
I don't know what to say. We have not had an easy time in my family lately either but nothing like you are enduring. I think of you often when times get hard that it was you that steered me back to God's house where everyone is welcome. He will always provide for you and your family. I wish you the best in these hard times.
Jody
I'm praying for you Daff! You have such a great attitude and perspective. ((HUGS))
Dee from Tennessee
Oh, I'm just so sorry...pets offer us unconditional love. And, even though a house is "just" a house,....it's the memories that are precious. Lifting you up in prayers to the Loving God you mentioned...and He is aware of our needs before we ask. Sending another hug from the hills/mountains of Tennessee...
Daffodil, I am so sorry about Baby. I recall seeing her in some pic's that you've shared on Country Sampler and your blog. I know you and your family loved her very much.
I have 3 puppy dogs, and they are so much a part of our family. Our minature schnauzer is 13 years old, and has some health issues going on. I know it's only a matter of time before we'll have to be making some major decisions on what to do concerning his health issues too... It is so hard.
I'm also sorry to read that you are going to put your home up for sale. I do agree though, that we do have to look forward and to keep the past in our memories, as you've already mentioned. Thank God for wonderful memories, that's for sure!... I know I, myself, go back and visit them quite often, as I'm sure you do too...
Do take care and know that you and your family are in my prayers.
~Lynn/OKC
Really hard things Beth, I'm sorry.
Claudia
beth, you are truly amazing. i have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of this..yes, every word. i wish so much that we had been friends thru the years. how did we spend so many years together and yet miss out on each other so completely when we were finally grown and had good sense?? we have an enormous amount of things in common, i have found from this. i have thought of you so many times since the morn i came to your house when jimmy died. it was okay that i didn't get to see you. your children were so sweet to me and i saw a beautiful home that was obviously full of love. i even met baby. another thing we share. right now i am typing with one hand while our 7 wk old black kitten gnaws on the other...we, too, have 2 cats and 5 dogs. wish you could make it to the reunion but i certainly understand....will take plenty of pix for you to enjoy. gone to put cat up for the night. will stay in touch. love, bj p.s. i love blue and white china, too!!!!!!
Oh my dear Daff....
I have been away so long from reading your blog that I lived in complete confidence that all was good in your world! Oh, how ignorance is bliss!
I am sooooo very sorry sweet Daff. My heart aches so much for you and your children as you navigate these difficult times. Your devotion and love to your home was always evident--in fact...I met you on a HOME DECORATING SITE! And, I know what joy your dear Baby brought to your world. You were always so sharing with all of us about what brought happiness and love to your life. So, because of the stories and heart that you shared over the years--I know the sadness you are feeling. These are more "endings" in your world. It's so hard to let go--as we all know. But, dear Daff--you have proven time and time again what a strong and courageous woman you are. In the face of darkness and despair, you always found a ray of sunlight and worked hard to keep your focus on that sunlight--no matter how dim it may have gotten. What you have done with your life is inspirational and beautiful. I know some days it feels so difficult but--in my heart--I believe that YOU WILL find the love and peace (that you so deserve) in your journey.
I have no doubt that God will hold you all as you do what is best. And, I am 100% positive that your faith will continue to guide you through the hard times and the loss. You have raised wonderful, thoughtful children who will work through these difficult times with the tools that you and Papa gave them. I just know it.
I am saddened in knowing that you are feeling this loss. But, there's something I am thinking that I want to share with you--and it's these words--IT'S TIME. As a spectator in your life--I read it as a story. And, we are now at a part of your story where your physical life is catching up with your spiritual life. Essentially--it's the final chapter of your transformation. You are "shedding" the pieces of your past (i.e. Daffodil Hill and to some extent--Baby) thus giving you the freedom and the means to carry on with your new life and mission. It's on to a new book....what shall we call it?
MOTORCYCLE MAMA?
love and prayers to you, my dear Daff!
Judi
Post a Comment