Friday, June 19, 2009

Things I Miss Most

Thanks to the wonderful people in Staff Services, I have the temporary use of a laptop from which I am typing this entry. Oh, how I miss my computer! It ranks at the very top of my list of things I miss from my former life. To be able to go online whenever I choose, and to stay in touch with friends and family via email and Facebook is now the stuff of my dreams. A heavily shared computer in a busy office just isn’t the same. I still don’t have a personal internet connection, but this is definitely an improvement!

I have also sorely repented of ever having taken my washer and dryer for granted. Doing laundry these days involves endless trips up and down long flights of stairs, walking through dark basement halls, and hoarding quarters for the coin-operated machines. Don’t get me wrong. I feel blessed to have even this access to laundry facilities. It has just been a rude awakening after 30 years of throwing clothes into the washer or dryer whenever I felt like it. Now I find myself ironing because it is cheaper than feeding quarters to the dryer, and it is easier than loitering in the basement to hang my clothes at the end of the drying cycle.

The third item on my list of things I miss most is my piano. Back in Mississippi, it was excellent therapy for me to sit and play - always a mood-lifter. It has now been weeks since I touched a piano, and I am feeling it. An hour alone to tickle the ivories would make my heart sing.

Beginning a new life always has its challenges, but those with which I am dealing are small things compared to what others face. In the old days when people went out as missionaries they often packed their belongings in a casket, never expecting to see home and family again. I am so blessed to have a cell phone, mail service, and even minimal internet usage. I could be in a third world country scrubbing my laundry over a rock in a dirty river. It’s all relative.

People here have been truly kind and welcoming. I can’t imagine a better situation than the one in which I find myself. God has been gracious to this little Southern transplant. I know that I am right where He wants me to be at this time in my life. Transition has gone smoothly, all things considered. After all, they DO have Dr Pepper in Michigan! ;)

4 comments:

Rose said...

Oh my goodness, you got a lot of things going on with you, don't you? I know you DO MISS the piano and the computer, dryer and washer. Man how we do take things or granted and when we loose some of them is when we know what we really had. Just like today at lunch, I burnt my hand really bad on some mega mega hot oil I was cooking fish in. I have a blister from the bottom of my thumb nail to about an inch from my wrist. Now I can't type, or wipe, lol, or anything with that hand, and it happens to be the RIGHT hand of ALL hands! UGHHH
I am soooo glad to see u post on u r blog though!!!! I hope u have more time on the computer there so at least u can get SOME conviences sp?!

Caleb said...

Hey Beth, We're continuing to pray for you as you transition to your new life.

Judi said...

Thank God they have Dr. Pepper! You have to have your exiler of life! Daff needs her DOC!
Thanks to your colleague for allowing you to use the computer to speak to your devoted fan base. I'm just happy to know you are doing well in your new life!
And I look forward to your next words!
Keep the faith Swet Daff!!!
Judi

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

Just checking in to see how you are doing....sending you a big TN hug wrapped up in prayers.