Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What's Happening?

Thanks, Judi, for checking up on me! The last few weeks have been busy ones on Daffodil Hill. I'm still going to the dentist almost every week for root canals and crowns, but the end is in sight. Maybe. I had the second temporary crown placed this morning, and I will have the second root canal tomorrow. Permanent crowns will be "seated" very soon. It is a long process, but it has gone very well so far. I'm learning to like soup. ;)

I've been working in the yard as weather permits, writing letters to my sailor, and planning a trip to his graduation near Chicago in April. While I am "up north", I will take advantage of the opportunity to hop over to Michigan and see what might be accomplished toward my upcoming move. Travel arrangements are complicated, especially since I'm not willing to drive in Chicago, but they are coming along well. With a combination of transportation options that includes cars, planes, Amtrak, local trains, buses, and a lot of walking while pulling luggage, this will be quite an adventure for this ole girl. Guess I'd better be eating my Wheaties.

The weather has been gorgeous here in Mississippi, giving me frequent opportunities for long afternoon walks. I am loving that! Our redbuds, wisteria, dogwoods, and Japanese magnolias are blooming at present, making every outing a special pleasure. Unfortunately warm weather also brings with it the necessity of beginning the long months of yard mowing, which is always challenging with five acres to maintain and no man around the house.

Jamie will soon be transferring to a closer branch of the bank where she is a teller, so she plans to move back in with me for awhile. She and Rachel will do as much of the mowing as possible, but we will still need a lot of help from friends and neighbors. I am thankful for both!

I continue to sort through and discard many of my earthly possessions in preparation for leaving the home I've lived in and loved for twenty-one years. As soon as I know where I'll be living, I will begin to make decisions about what will go with me. I don't have quite enough information to make those choices just yet. Maybe soon.

Life is obviously in transition around here, but we're doing well. Everyone seems to be savoring the time we have left together while simultaneously mentally preparing for the separation of our family. Sometimes it's hard to believe that I will actually be leaving Daffodil Hill, yet I am excited about my future in Michigan. Waiting for the details to be worked out is difficult, but I am also very content to be where I am. The roller coaster ride continues.

The one constant in my life is the God who never changes and never sleeps. He has blessed me so much in my thirteen months of widowhood! As He reveals His plans to me, I am learning to pray boldly and watch in awe as He moves in our lives. My whole life has become an adventure as I wait to see what He will do next. Please keep us in your prayers.

"It will also come to pass that before they call, I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear." Isaiah 65:24

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of driving in cities either, so I'll keep you on my prayer list as you hop from train to bus to plane to.....Make sure you have comfortable shoes to wear! Can't wait to hear how it all goes. Thank the good Lord for dentists! ;-)

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Daff,

I've driven in Chicago before (still can't believe I actually did it), so I know where you're coming from there! I'm still praying for you all the time! I'll be following your journey...keep up the bloggin' so we can... (please)!

Have a great evening,
Tammy

Caleb said...

We'll be praying for you as your plans are being formed. You are a blessing and encouragement.

Judi said...

Daff!
So good to see your post! I can see why I had to come and yank you back to blogland! (oooh...sorry....saying YANK with you going through dental stuff...ouch!)
You know, girlfriend, I'm thinking that as much as you say you're not too into driving in the city...I know you got it in you to do it! Just think of all the things you never knew you could do and you are now doing! Yeah, I know...baptism by fire is not the best way to get aquainted with anything! With many things in my life--it's the only way I would have tackled them! Yeah, I got some chicken shit in me! LOL!
Not that I think you should do what you don't want to do or feel uncomfortable doing...I'm just saying that I know you can!!!
Not that you have to do it this time....maybe it's just your time to sit back and enjoy the scenery!
Alright....now that I know you're doing okay and you're there enjoying Spring, my heart is at peace. Thanks for the peek into what's going on in your life. I'll keep you close in my thoughts--as always--as you continue on your voyage. And, if you have any good soup recipes....send them my way!
BTW...is your dentist cute? If you're spending all that time with him in your face...I sure hope he is worth looking at!
Judi

Scraphappy said...

Hi Daf,
I see you will be up in my neck of the woods. If you need any help, suggestions, driving tips, please let me know. (Do you still have my e-mail?) I would be happy to help you. I read your blog all the time but I haven't commented in a while. I am glad to see you are doing well. You are always in my prayers and thoughts.
Scraphappy/Maureen

Jody V said...

Hi Daff,

You are truly an amazing woman! I have also driven through Chicago...not easy! Anyway, you are always on my prayer list since you inspired me to return to the House of the Lord. Whether it be the Chapel or St. Joe's I always think of you when I walk through the door. Definitely keep us up to date with whatever is going on..

Jody

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Your entries bless me. I started out on my own with a different lifestyle over 30 years ago. Without God and constant prayer I could not have made it. God is so Good. Thanks again for sharing your journey.

Judi said...

Checking in on you Daff!
Is it Spring yet?